Bird Dog Benefits:
- Activates the core, priming your body for an intense workout.
- Targets the shoulders and the glutes as well.
- Great movement for functional strength.
How to do the Bird Dog:
Starting Position: Get down on your hands and knees. Maintain a flat back.
Movement: Simultaneously extend one arm and the opposite leg straight out, with your toes pointed towards your shins. Hold the position for one second.
Return: Slowly bring your elbow and your knee together underneath the body. Now place your hand and knee on ground. Repeat with the other arm and leg.
Modification and Progression of the Bird Dog:
- To simplify the Bird Dog, lift only your arm or leg, rather than attempting to move both at the same time.
- To advance the Bird Dog, extend the arm and opposite leg straight out and up. Rotate the hand and foot outward (externally) and hold for 3 seconds. Return to starting position by rotating them back and touching your elbow to your knee before placing them back on the ground.
- Don’t forget to focus on the balancing hand and knee to really activate the core muscles.
- When extending your arm, think about reaching it straight out. The same goes for the opposite leg.
- Maintain an activated core by curving your upper back like a scared cat and sticking your booty out like a stretching dog.
Our live, real-time coaching will motivate you through every rep. So download the app and we’ll have you perfecting your Bird Dogs in no time.