- Open up tight hip muscles.
- Great for low-back relief and spinal health.
- Excellent glute stretch.
How to do Seated Butterflies:
Starting Position: Sit down with the soles of your feet together and your knees opened up wide.
Movement: Grab your ankles as you tilt forward with your torso, sinking your stomach toward your ankles. Maintain wide knees and keep your lower back as straight as possible.
Return: Sit up straight, releasing your grip from your ankles, and straightening your legs.
Modification and Progression:
- To simplify Seated Butterflies, slide your arms under your knees as you grab your ankles. Reduce the width of your knees as you lean forward, all the while maintaining a straight low back.
- To advance Seated Butterflies, feel the stretch, hold the position for 5 seconds, back-off slightly, then go deeper into the stretch. Additionally, you can twist your torso to the one side to emphasize the stretch, alternating sides
- To keep the knees wide, place your elbows inside your knees/shins and push down.
- Think about sticking your booty out to maintain a straight low back.
Our live, real-time coaching will motivate you through every rep. So download the app and we’ll have you perfecting your Seated Butterflies in no time.