- Increases glute and hamstring flexibility.
- Relieves low-back tension.
- Increases hip mobility, reducing the risk of hip injury.
How to do Figure 4 Stretch:
Starting Position: Begin by lying down on your back. Keep your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor. Place your palms on the floor, and your arms slightly away from the body.
Movement: Position your opposite ankle on the bent thigh by bending at the knee. Now lift the grounded foot off the ground, and clasp your hands behind your knee, hugging your knee toward your chest by bending your elbows. Drive your opposite knee down as you pull your leg toward you.
Return: Release your clasp and slowly lower your foot back to the ground. Repeat with the other leg.
Modification and Progression:
- To simplify the Figure 4 Stretch, decrease the amount of pull on your hamstring.
- To advance the Figure 4 Stretch, extend your knee, straightening your grounded leg, for an added hamstring stretch.
- When pulling your leg back, roll your shoulders down and back. Proceed pulling by bending at the elbows.
Our live, real-time coaching will motivate you through every rep. So download the app and we’ll have you perfecting your Figure 4 Stretch in no time.