- Increases hamstring and shoulder flexibility, reducing your risk of injury.
- Relieves low-back tension and aches.
- Reverses the negative effects of chair sitting.
How to do Forward Fold with Shoulder Opener:
Starting Position: Place your feet shoulder width apart.
Movement: With straight legs, bend forward from your hips and lower your stomach toward the ground. Relax the neck and shoulders. Reach behind your back, clasping your hands together high, then push the knuckles back behind you. With your hands still clasped, raise your arms straight up off of the low back, and directly over your head if possible.
Return: Slowly lower your arms onto your back and release your clasped hands. Squeeze your glutes and maintain a straight spine as you extend back up to standing position.
Modification and Progression:
- To simplify Forward Fold with Shoulder Opener, keep your arms hanging toward the ground instead of interlocking your fingers behind your back.
- To advance Forward Fold with Shoulder Opener, pivot your hips to one side at the bottom of the movement for an added inner hip stretch.
- Maintain a straight low back throughout the movement by bending until you lose the natural curvature of the lower part of your spine.
- The wider your feet are spread, the more you target your inner thighs.
- Be mindful when raising your arms overhead at the bottom of the fold and don’t extend beyond your ability.
Our live, real-time coaching will motivate you through every rep. So download the app and we’ll have you perfecting your Forward Fold in no time.