- Strengthens and tones the outer glute muscles for a perkier tush.
- Improves knee stability by strengthening muscles surrounding the joint.
- Increases hip stability for improved lower-body power/speed.
How to do Side Lunges:
Starting Position: Stand with your feet together and your hands by your sides.
Movement: Take a big step to out to the side and sit your hips back. Keep your knee directly over your ankle.
Return: Drive through your heel and squeeze your glutes to bring your leg back to center. Switch sides.
Modification and Progression:
- To simplify Side Lunges, start with your feet wider than your shoulders in V-stance, and sit/squat down to one side by pushing hips back. Drive through then heel to come back to V-stance and repeat with other side.
- To advance Side Lunges, balance on one leg before switching sides and/or add weight.
- Keep the heel of the non-working foot planted on the floor.
- If your knee is out to the side farther than your heel, take a wider step outward.
- Keep your weight in your heel – you should be able to wiggle your toes of the out-stepped foot at all times.
- Squeeze your tush before you come back to center.
Our live, real-time coaching will motivate you through every rep. So download the app and we’ll have you perfecting your Side Lunges in no time.