- Tone the obliques and transverse abdominal muscles.
- Improve posture by engaging core.
- Increase your level of total-body stability.
How to do Side Planks:
Starting Position: Lie flat on the ground. Shift to the side of your body by supporting your weight on one forearm. Keep your feet in an offset stance, top foot in front of other foot. Place your top hand on your hip.
Movement: Press your forearm into the ground and lift your hips up. Squeeze your glutes to keep your hips in line with your body. Hold.
Return: Lower your hips to the ground. Repeat on other side.
Modification and Progression:
- To simplify Side Planks, use your top hand as a kickstand, fingers on the floor for support.
- To advance Side Planks, stack your feet on top of each other. To take it to another level, try raising your top leg toward the sky, squeezing the glutes. Hold. Lower your leg and repeat on the other side.
- Squeeze your glutes to help you square your hips. Try not to have them drop forward or behind.
- Press your supporting elbow into the ground and extend your shoulder.
- Keep your neck in line with your spine.
Our live, real-time coaching will motivate you through every rep. So download the app and we’ll have you perfecting your Side Planks in no time.