- Great for stretching out lateral abs, back, and shoulders.
- Actively engage the core, improving posture.
- Serve as an excellent cool-down stretch after an intense back workout.
How to do Standing Side Stretches:
Starting Position: Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, hands on hips.
Movement: Extend one arm overhead, with your elbow near your ear. Tilt your torso to the opposite side, simultaneously extending your arm in the same direction.
Return: Drive through your core to bring your torso back to upright. Switch sides.
Modification and Progression:
- To simplify Standing Side Stretches, raise your arm without bending to one side.
- To advance Standing Side Stretches, raise both arms in the air. Tilt to one side, working your core to maintain the bent position. Brace your core as you come back to center. Repeat on the other side.
- When reaching overhead and to the side, think about extending the upper arm straight up to the sky.
- If balance is a problem, tilt your hips in the opposite direction of the bend.
- Keep your chest up and shoulders back.
- Turn your gaze to your raised hand when you reach the extended position.
Our live, real-time coaching will motivate you through every rep. So download the app and we’ll have you perfecting your Standing Side Stretches in no time.