- Feel the burn — tone glutes, hamstrings, and calves with one move.
- Simultaneously open up the hips — increasing flexibility — and strengthen glutes.
- Excellent alternative to the traditional Squat!
How to do Sumo Squats:
Starting Position: Stand with your feet slightly wider than hip-width apart, feet turned out at 45-degree angles.
Movement: Lower your hips down and back, shifting your weight onto your heels. Lean slightly forward while keeping your chest up and shoulders back. Reach your hands straight out in front of you for balance.
Return: Drive through your heels, fully extending your hips. Squeeze your glutes at the top.
Modification and Progression:
- To simplify Sumo Squats, decrease depth of squat and point your toes forward.
- To advance Sumo Squats, raise your arms — elbows near your ears — for an added core challenge. You can also hold the squat position for 3 seconds. Stand up and repeat.
- Lean slightly forward to maintain the weight on your heels.
- Slowly lower yourself down, but explode as your rise back to standing.
- Brace your core to help keep your chest up and shoulders back.
Our live, real-time coaching will motivate you through every rep. So download the app and we’ll have you perfecting your Sumo Squats in no time.